I first made this chili by the luck of ingredients I happened to have on hand. This bowl is incredibly nourishing and satisfying, particularly on a chillly fall night. There is ample protein and fresh greens to create a comforting, yet balanced meal.
2 T olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 sticks of celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T ground cumin
1 pinch of pink or sea salt
1 pinch of black pepper
1/2 t paprika (smoked if you have it)
1 QT veggie or chicken stock
1/2 C tomato sauce
1 + 1/4 C water
1 anaheim pepper, diced
1/2 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 C (small grain preferably) brown rice
• 1 12oz can adzuki beans, rinsed
*Optional ingredients: 1/2 C cilantro leaves, 1 lime, 1 avocado, sour cream + shredded cheese
• Heat the olive oil in a medium to large pot
• Add the onion, celery and carrot, and sautee for a few minutes until translucent
• Add the garlic and spices, stir and sautee for another minute
• Add your liquids (stock, tomato sauce and water) and stir
• Add the pepper, sweet potato and rice
• Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover and simmer on low for about 30 minutes
• When done cooking, add the adzuki beans, stir and let cook for just a few more minutes.
• Remove from heat and dish into bowls.
Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, a wedge of lime, diced avocado, shredded Mexican blend cheese and dollop of sour cream. Serve!